If you’re looking to transform both your fields and your job performance, you’re likely to get all the knowledge and tips you need for both at the Sports Turf Managers Association’s (STMA) Conference and Exhibition, which takes place Jan. 19-22 in San Diego, California. The event features dozens of educational learning sessions, a first-rate vendor exhibition and trade show, unlimited networking opportunities and tours of professional and collegiate fields in the San Diego area.
When: Jan. 19-22
Where: San Diego Convention Center & Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego
Facebook: Sports Turf Managers Association
On the go: When you get to San Diego, download the STMA Conference & Exhibition app on iTunes or Google Play
General sessions highlights include:
Wednesday, Jan. 20, session focuses on injury biomechanics
- Richard Kent, Ph.D., University of Virginia, will speak about shoes and field surface interaction. He’s worked on the NFL Foot and Ankle Committee since 2008 and chaired the taskforce to develop the NFL’s Recommended Practices for game day Fields.
- Dan Russell, Ph.D., Penn State University, will address the physics and acoustics of baseball bats. His primary research area involves the acoustics and vibration of sports equipment, and he’s provided testing and vibration consulting services for several sporting goods manufacturers.
- Joel Stitzel, Ph.D., Biomedical Engineering, Wake Forest School of Medicine, will discuss his research involving crash injury and engineering biomechanics of trauma, automotive safety and sports and military biomechanics.
*Each will present in-depth sessions later in the conference
Thursday, Jan. 21, general session addresses concussions
- Timothy Gay, Ph.D., University of Nebraska physics professor and industry helmet consultant, will present on turf, sports, physics and concussions.
Choose from nine educational tracks:
- Facility Management
- Industry Developments
- Pest Control
- Professional Development
Seminar on Wheels Tours
- Tuesday, Jan. 19: So Cal Sports Complex, Del Mar Race Track, San Diego Jewish Academy, Petco Park
- Friday, Jan. 22: Qualcomm Stadium, San Diego State University